Rebecca Sophia Clarke collection
Collection Scope and Content
This collection includes photographs and an obituary.
- 1906, 1988
- Clarke, Rebecca Sophia, 1833-1906 (Person)
Collection is open for research.
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the Curator of the Maine Women Writers Collection.
Rebecca Sophia Clarke was born in Norridgewock, Maine in 1833. At the age of 18, she moved to Evansville, Indiana where she taught for ten years. She stopped teaching due to hearing loss and moved back to Maine in 1861, where she lived with her sister, Sarah Jones Clarke. Over the course of over 40 years, Clarke published many children's stories under the pen name Sophie May, the most popular being the Little Prudy series. She died in 1906.
1 folder (1 folder, 1 item)
Language of Materials
This collection is organized as a single series.
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clarke, Rebecca Sophia, 1833-1906
- May, Sophie, 1833-1906
- Norridgewock (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Obituaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Guide to the Rebecca Sophia Clarke collection, 1906, 1988
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description