Elizabeth Lester Poole collection
Collection Scope and Content
This collection includes Poole's CV; correspondence; published photography and writings; published photos and articles; and materials related to her work at Stanley Museum, including posters, brochures, slides, Stanley family interviews, and clippings. MWWC holds copies of a book about Chansonetta Stanley Emmons signed by members of the Stanley family, Lizzy Poole, and author Marius B. Peladeau, and the periodical Fish Rapper Digest (later called Radical Journey).
- Poole, Lizzy (Person)
Collection is open for research.
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the Curator of the Maine Women Writers Collection.
Elizabeth Lester Poole (known as Lizzy Poole) was born Elizabeth Lester in Boston, MA, on March 18, 1934. A partial list of Poole's many and varied personal and professional roles includes: Maine journalist and photojournalist; elementary school teacher; lobsterman and fisherman; visual artist; women's rights advocate and publisher of the feminist publication Fish Rapper Digest (later Radical Journey); peace activist; environmental advocate; Master Gardener and active member of various local and state committees as well as a museum board. Bylines that she has used over the years include (in chronological order): Betty Lester, Elizabeth Lester, Betty Beane and Lizzy Poole. Moving to Raymond, Maine, during high school, Lizzy attended Bridgton Academy; University of Maine at the Orono, Portland and Gorham campuses; Westbrook Junior College; and Rockport Photography School. In 1957 she married Emery O. Beane, an attorney and Maine State Representative and they had two children, Charles Emery and Nancy Lee. In 1969, Lizzy and Emery were divorced and in 1979, Lizzy married Herbert Sheldon Poole of York, Maine. Tragedy struck Lizzy's life when, in 1995, her son Charles Beane, an aerospace engineer and Air Force Captain, died in California. During her adult life Lizzy has been very active in local and state organizations and published numerous newspaper and magazine articles and letters to the editor in New England and the southeast.
1 linear foot (23 folders)
Language of Materials
This collection is organized as a single series.
- American poetry -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Beane, Betty
- Clippings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Correspondence Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Fish Rapper Digest Subject Source: Local sources
- Lester, Betty
- Lester, Elizabeth
- Manuscripts Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Newsletters Subject Source: Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Poole, Lizzy
- Stanley Museum
- York (Me.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Elizabeth Lester Poole collection, 1947-2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Maine Women Writers Collection Repository
University of New England
716 Stevens Avenue
Portland Maine 04103 United States