Collection Scope and Content
The collection contains an 1884 printed letter which accompanied a circulating petition, enlisting signatures to support municipal woman suffrage, signed by five women, including Julia Ward Howe, working on behalf of the Massachusetts Women's Suffrage Association, a local branch of the American Woman Suffrage Association; a circa 1920 postcard with images of three suffrage leaders, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Carrie Chapman Catt, and Lucretia Mott; a photocopy of a 1987 article in Reviews in American history, by Carol Lasser, providing a retrospective on the 1959 book by Eleanor Flexner, Century of struggle, a landmark work on woman's rights movement in America; a pennant; a New York sun article about Lucy Stone; a 1923 article from the Boston traveler about a woman's right to keep her maiden name; a 1917 New York times article about Maine's suffrage vote; a photograph of Elizabeth Stuart Phelps; a 1902 letter and questionnaire from the Maine Woman Suffrage Association; an 1893 Woman suffrage leaflet; and a 1917 anti-suffrage booklet titled The case against woman suffrage published by the Maine Association Opposed to Suffrage for Women.
- Majority of material found within 1884-1923
Collection is open for research.
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the Curator of the Maine Women Writers Collection.
Language of Materials
This collection is organized as a single series.
- Clippings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Correspondence Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Flexner, Eleanor, 1908-1995
- Leaflets Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Mott, Lucretia, 1793-1880
- Pamphlets Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Postcards Subject Source: Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms
- Stanton, Elizabeth Cady, 1815-1902
- Stone, Lucy, 1818-1893
- Voting Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ward, Elizabeth Stuart Phelps, 1844-1911
- Whitehouse, Florence Brooks, 1870-1945
- Women -- Legal status, laws, etc Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Suffrage Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women's rights Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Suffrage collection, 1884-1987
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description